Fifty Three Restorations, Inc. -
Church of St. Francis Xavier
New York, NY Lucy Moses Award 2011
The restoration of the interior architectural woodwork, as well as the fabrication of new furniture & cabinetry. Architectural elements that were restored by Fifty Three Restorations include the organ screen, the confessionals, & the front doors to the church. We also fabricated & installed a new wood Altar, an Ambo, & a lectern.
St. Stephen’s United Methodist Church
Bronx, New York Lucy Moses Award 2011
As general contractor and architectural woodworker on the project, Fifty Three Restorations executed the restoration of the north and west facades, the rose windows & the belfry. This work included the complete removal & replacement of the Western Red Cedar shingles and all of the trim on the North and West facades of the building as well as the disassembly, restoration & re-installation of the rose windows.
68 Morris Avenue, Morristown, NJ-Landmark House Museum C.1860
Built as a private residence in the mid-19th century, Acorn Hall now
serves as the headquarters for the Morris County Historical Society.
Over the past ten years, we have completed several projects at Acorn
Hall. Our first project at Acorn Hall was the restoration of the Music
Room. In that room, we restored the woodwork, supervised the reproduction
and installation of historic wallpapers, the restoration of the tromp
l'oeil ceiling, as well as the analysis and execution of the paint
finishes. More recently, Fifty Three Restorations restored the exterior
of Acorn Hall. This work included the roof, the chimneys, the built-in
gutter system, the siding, porches, windows, doors & shutters.
Alice Austin House
House museum, Staten Island, NY-Landmark C.1880
The restoration of the windows & doors.
The Bowne House
Queens, NY-Landmark house museum
The restoration of the built-in gutter system and portions of the rear fa┴ade.
The Brooklyn Historical Society
Brooklyn, New York-Landmark C.1870
The fabrication & installation of the lay light over the main
Meeting House of the Society of Friends
110 Schermerhorn Street, Brooklyn, New York-Landmark C.1840
A Greek Revival building constructed in the 1850's. This project included
the restoration of the box gutters, the cornice and fascias, the reproduction
of the two attic lunette windows, and the restoration of the windows
123 East 55th Street-New York, N.Y.
A Moorish revival landmark built circa 1880. Fifty Three Restorations was responsible for the restoration of the windows on the 55th Street fa┴ade, as well as the Lexington Avenue doos.. As well as the Lexington Avenue doors. We restored or reconstructed
many of the wood elements in the sanctuary, including the Bema handrails
and the structural system supporting the Bema. We also restored the
two under balcony ceilings at either side of the Sanctuary. This work
included re-plastering, stenciling & painting as well as documentation
of the original ceiling structure & finishes.
Fort Tryon Park, New York, NY
The fabrication & installation of exterior shutters for the West
façade. The fabrication & installation of interior shutters
for the Boppard Gallery The Restoration of the wood ceiling in the
Boppard Gallery The fabrication & installation of window sash
for the Burgos Gallery.
Coe Hall at the Planting Fields
Oyster Bay, New
York-Landmark House Museum
We restored the half-timbering on the South
facade of the servant's wing. We also restored the exterior doors
& jambs. The door hardware was repaired & new pieces were
cast to match the historic examples.
20 Livingston Ave., Tappan, N.Y.-Landmark House Museum C.1700
We were responsible for the complete restoration of the exterior &
interior of this 1700 Dutch house. The work included the installation of a new hand split shingle roof; the fabrication
& installation of reproduction window sash & doors, as well
as the restoration of the wood floors, mantles & plaster surfaces.
Eldridge Street Synagogue
12 Eldridge Street, New York, NY-Landmark C.1890
The restoration of the windows on the East façade. The stabilization
of interior columns. The reproduction of historic doors, jambs, transoms.
1 East 70th Street, New York, NY C.1900
The restoration/reconstruction of architectural woodwork, including
shutters, windows, & doors.
Restoration of the woodwork & protective glazing system for four
of the leaded glass windows.
Lower East Side Tenement Museum
97 Orchard Street, New York, N.Y.-Landmark House Museum C.1890
We restored portions of the first floor hallway. Our responsibilities
included reproducing & installing historic floor tile, stamped
wood moldings, wainscoting and repair of the plaster walls.
Landmark House Museum C.1790
We restored the main façade. Fifty Three Restorations also
restored the main staircase, second to third floor.
The Manhattan Meeting House of the
Society of Friends
15 Rutherford Place, New York, New York Landmark C.1850
We restored the exterior of three mid-19th century Greek Revival buildings.
Included in this project was the restoration of the roof systems,
the chimneys, the built-in gutters and the architectural woodwork.
The installation of new lighting systems in the meeting house, which
involved the removal, & re-installation of several of the historic
finishes (woodworking, plaster, paint etc).
East 4th St, New York, NY
The restoration of the main cornice, the windows & the main entry
of this early 19th century townhouse.
The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum
East 61st Street, New York, N.Y.-Landmark C.1790 House Museum
Fifty Three Restorations has restored/reconstructed the exterior architectural
woodwork, including the porches, cornices, windows & doors. We
also restored the flooring in two of the period rooms. A recent project
at The Mount Vernon Hotel Museum required us to selectively remove
& replace the historic flooring to facilitate the installation
of new fire suppression & alarm systems. Fifty Three Restorations
fabricated & installed French doors for the East balcony &
has restored portions of the main staircase.
Palisades Presbyterian Church
Palisades, NY Landmark C.1880
The restoration of the bell tower, the bell & its carriage. The
tower was dismantled & re-framed before receiving new sheathing
& cedar shingles.
Landmark New York, NY
Located at the foot of Manhattan Island this structure originally
housed the New York City Fire Department's harbor fleet. Fifty Three
Restorations installed exterior architectural elements including lead
coated copper ornaments, windows, moldings & cornicework.
The Rufus King Manor House
Queens, NY-Landmark C.1765
Fifty Three Restorations restored the entire exterior of this house
museum. The porches were rebuilt, the windows were restored (about
60 wood double hung units), and the siding, trim, doorways, and other
woodwork was restored & painted. We reconstructed two arched attic
window units & fabricated & hung new wood shutters made to
late 18th century specifications.
School of the Holy Child
Complete restoration of the architectural woodwork and the windows
on this half timbered turn of the 20th century mansion.
Saint Ann's & the Holy Trinity
Brooklyn, N.Y.-Landmark C.1840
We restored & refinished the chancel window woodwork. In addition,
we structurally reinforced the window with a system of stainless steel
rods & anchors. We also fabricated & installed the protective
glazing system. We have also restored four of the side aisle windows.
Old Saint James Parish Hall
The restoration of the exterior of this 18th century church building.
The work included the reconstruction of the gable end bracket systems,
the restoration of the existing architectural woodwork, the restoration
of the windows, the fabrication & installation of new doors & the structural reinforcement of the roof framing system. We also
replaced the roof, installed new copper leaders & gutters as well
as restoring the stone foundation & the brick chimney.
Swedish Cottage in Central Park
Landmark C. 1873
We restored/reconstructed the exterior of this wooden Swedish schoolhouse.
The work included the fabrication and installation of siding, doors,
windows, moldings, roof shingles, and various other decorative features.
We also were responsible for the dismantling and reconstruction of
the corbelled eave brackets that were structurally reinforced with
steel braces that we designed & had fabricated. We also fabricated
& installed the new balcony & the entrance handrail systems.
The Synod of Bishops of the Russian
75 East 93rd Street-New York, N.Y. Landmark C.1910
Fifty Three Restorations completed the restoration of the exterior
woodwork of this private residence that has been adapted to serve
the needs of the Russian Orthodox Church. The restoration included
160 wood & copper windows as well as the doorways & cornices.
Trinity Baptist Church
225 East 61st Street-New York, N.Y. Landmark C. 1911
Fifty Three Restorations dismantled & documented 2 existing spires
at the top of the main facade of this architecturally unique Swedish
Baptist Church. We then fabricated & installed two new spires
to match the originals. The spire frames are made of steel. A series
of wood forms give shape & dimension to the spires, which are
covered with lead coated copper
Wagner Free Institute
Philadelphia, PA-Landmark C.1870
The restoration of 22 arched windows. Each window is about 20 feet
tall & 7 feet wide. Each window has several steel ventilator units
as well as operable wood arched sash at the top. The windows are painted
on the exterior & stained & shellacked on the interior to
match the historic finishes in the museum.
Woodrow United Methodist Church
Woodrow Road, Staten Island, NY
Structural reinforcement of the portico. Reconstruction of the porch.
Restoration of the columns and other historic woodwork. The fabrication
& installation of a handicap ramp. New Bluestone walkways.